of driving the standards...
Charles Elvey Agencies (Pty) Ltd opened doors for trade on the 1st of November
1946 as a small independent agent responsible for the distribution of
electronic and electric components - enamelled wire, insulation material,
components to the lighting industry, rivets and other fasteners, on behalf of
various British based manufacturers.
1976, Elvey became a major force in the respective industry and Charles decided
he needed a partner to help run the business. Consequently, Elliot Wainstein
joined the company, purchasing a 50% share of Elvey and bringing new dedication
and direction to the company.
1981, in wake of a disastrous flood, Elvey received an order for a large
quantity of smoke detectors for installation in the prefabricated houses
required to accommodate the flood victims. The increased demand for these
detectors prompted the supplier, a leading USA manufacturer of security
products and at the time a subsidiary in the USA of the security company,
American District Telegraph Inc, to approach Elvey to represent it in South
the course of 1981, Elvey identified the security industry as a promising
target market. By this stage, business interests in various countries had been
acquired and the name of the company changed to “Elvey International (Pty) Ltd”
to more accurately reflect the worldwide nature of the organisation.
1996 security was the prime focus of the company and it rapidly grew to its
present market leadership status. Additional high security products were
introduced to the local market by way of importation from all parts of the
successfully listed as Elvey Security Technologies (Pty) Ltd, on the main board
of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) in May 1999. In February 2001, the JSE
listed company Hudaco Industries (Pty) Ltd, acquired Elvey. The company now
forms an integral part of the Hudaco Group.